A recent book cover commission "Hand of the Reckoners" by Dana Crotts. The challenge with this illustration was to convey the world that Dana has created and not making the painting too complicated. Had a lot of fun with this one!
Just completed a 'finished' version of my Return sketch from earlier this year. This is one of those painting's where all the boxes were ticked as far as my picture making is concerned. I've also had a lot of positive feedback on the sketch so I decided to take the painting to the next level and here's the result.
I finished this painting, my first ever fantasy art card illustration, about a year ago now for Arcane Wonders and I'm finally able to share it. This painting also marks the time when my art changed from me mainly creating folio pieces to actually working for clients on a regular basis. Been an interesting year and I've learned a lot about both picture making and the business side of things. It took a long time to get here, a lot of trial and error but I think I'm finally on the right path with my art.
I'm in between commissions at the moment so I thought I'd try out some new brushes and do a landscape sketch - something I don't do nearly enough of. It was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be so think I'll crank out a few more in the next little while.
Here's another illustration that I created for the 'Soldiers of Empires' project. During the Battle of Imphal, the British were getting air support which mainly consisted of rations, weapons, ammunition etc. But the cannisters were also carrying bottles of rum in them as well. The Japanese managed to to grab some of the stray canisters and were very surprised when they discovered the rum. Here’s a link in case anyone’s interested in reading about it further:
I was commissioned late in 2016 to create an illustration of General Bill Slim in support of a much larger project entitled “Soldiers of Empires”. In this illustration I was asked to portray General Slim creating parachutes out of cheap jute sacks as an affordable alternative to the more costly and less available silk parachutes of the time. The project is primarily focused on the WW2 Burma Campaign and more specifically, The Battle of Imphal. This is the first of a number of sketches and finished illustrations that I’ll producing for this project. Here’s a link in case anyone’s interested in reading about it further:
Last weekend's painting! Since I've started doing a painting every weekend I've noticed that I'm really enjoying just coming up with something that wasn't predetermined in any way shape or form. Giving myself a time limit of just the weekend, or roughly 8ish hours, is also great as it stops me noodling endlessly until it's 'perfect'...
And here's last weekend's painting! Trying out some new stuff, I'll see where it goes... So far it's been fun.
This weekend's painting...
I was recently contacted by a French fanzine, called 'Presences D'Esprits' who were running an Edgar Rice Burroughs special edition. They asked to use one of my paintings for the cover as well as an interview about my art, journey and process. At first I was a bit surprised, but after checking out the magazines' website I realized what an honour it was to be included with a whole host of other great artists that I admire.
Finally made it out to a life drawing class after finishing up a recent commission.
Getting back into the swing of thing's after the holidays so I thought I'd do a quick master study.
So I totally forgot to put this finished painting on my blog from early November, oops! Oh well, it's here now and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. During the course of completing this painting, I had to make a number of design choices that weren't on the sketch so it took a little longer than it normally would but at least these thing's are now setup ready for the next painting!
Here’s the third painting idea for my Demon Born character - Ascent. Think I might take this one to a more finished stage.
Here’s the second painting idea for my Demon Born character - Meeting with the boss...
Been playing around with a new character which I've called 'Demon Born' for now... The character resides in one of the nine rings of hell, well until the devil grants him leave to walk the Earth on some sort of quest which I'm still figuring out lol. Anyway, enough rambling, here's my first painting idea for this character:)
So here's my latest painting 'Vows' which I've literally just finished and there's a story behind this one. Just before we walked down the aisle, my wife wanted to rewrite her vows on some nicer paper. As I was waiting for her, it suddenly struck me that the scene was perfect for a wonderful painting and so I grabbed my camera and took a photo. I actually forgot about the photo until weeks later when I was going through my pictures. When I saw the picture again I decided to do a painting and this is the result. Before I started this piece I really wanted to improve my folds and drapery knowledge and, it turns out, this painting was the perfect learning experience! Gotta say, this was a really challenging piece but I'm pretty happy with the final painting overall...
Just finished up the latest portrait and this time it's my new father-in-law Jan. This particular portrait was pretty challenging and a good way to get back into the swing of all thing's painting after my vacation:)
Last year I was commissioned to do a series of portraits for an upcoming book about Noah's Ark, entitled 'Full Moon Over Noah's Ark'. And this portrait, of Irving Finkel, is my favourite piece from that project.
In the middle of paintings so I decided to do another master study. I really need to do a lot more of these as I find I learn quite a lot from everyone of them. I will say that the studies of Sargent's painting's are always the most challenging and rewarding.